Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Bottom Drawer Day
By Peggy Kleckner

“Why so downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.”
Psalm 43:5

I had a difficult day. I was worn out physically, mentally and emotionally. No major trauma, just the stuff of life. A bit of disappointment, a measure of work frenzy and restless thoughts had added up to weariness. I took appropriate action when I got home from work….I went to bed and covered up. My friend calls this “turtling”! Yep, I tucked in and tuned out; however, I did have a meeting to go to that night. So there I lay pondering what God would have me do. Some days, a nap is the right choice followed by an evening of staying put, but other days it is a trap of the enemy.

I smelled dinner in the crockpot and thought I better get up and take care of it, after all, no one else was home. Now I was up. Next, a shower was needed as I smelled like ant spray… don’t even ask for the rest of that scenario! As I was combing out my hair, the thought came to mind that this was a bottom drawer day. Not top shelf…open and above; bottom… beneath and closed. I laughed to myself at the description as I thought that “bottom” certainly described my feelings, but then I remembered my “bottom drawer.” I have a desk in my study - - a desk with a bottom drawer. In that drawer, I have been collecting notes of encouragement, thank you cards and the like, knowing that one day I may need a “pick me up.” How kind of God to remind me!

I fed the dog, gathered my dinner and headed to my first meeting of the evening, a meeting with the friends in the bottom drawer of my desk. What a delight to first run across a friend who had given me a piece of writing about putting on the armor of God for our spiritual battles, next came notes from a Bible study that included a page of Bible verses on fear - - both on facing fear and on the fear of the Lord. What a delight to wander back through friendships and places where the Lord had sustained me or used me in the lives of others. What a cup of refreshment for my weary heart.

Needless to say, I did head out to my other meeting, fed, clean and renewed by the One who knows me best.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you have a small stash of encouragement for when you hit a “bottom drawer” day?
2. Have you sent any written notes of encouragement that others can pull out on a “bottom drawer” Day? Do they include some of His life-giving words?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.