Friday, April 6, 2012

Final Words from the Cross
Excerpts from all four Gospel accounts

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34)

“I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

“…he said to his mother, ‘Dear woman, here is your son,’ and to the disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’” (John 19:26-27)

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34)

“I am thirsty.” (John 19:28)

“It is finished.” (John 19:30)

“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)

GOING DEEPER:
1. Meditate on each of these statements made by Jesus in His final hours. What insights do you gain about Him? What do His last words tell you about who He is and what His character is like? What do they say about the “work” of the cross?
2. Each of the four gospel accounts of Jesus’ death on the cross adds another dimension to this precious story. Read them thoroughly in order to gain a more complete picture of the amazing events of that day.