Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Focus
By Tracy Smith

“Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you: A prophet to the nations - - that's what I had in mind for you."
Jeremiah 1:5 (MSG)

It is so easy, as women, to have our focus in the wrong direction. The world bombards us with images of all we should or shouldn’t be, and many times the messages oppose each other. It’s impossible to figure out which message to listen to, and more impossible to live up to the expectations. Then we see that woman that has what we want. Jealousy sets in and we think, “I want to be like her.”  I cannot tell you the number of times I wished I was the more “prim and proper” sort who did more listening than talking and when she did talk, used a quiet, reserved voice. Those who know me are chuckling as they try to imagine that  scenario - - it’s just not me.

While reading the magazine Just Between Us, I came across a couple of truths that I have been unable to get out of my mind. “Getting a New View of You,” was an interview with Andrea Stephens, founder of a ministry called B.A.B.E.™ that reaches out to “teen girls to help them see themselves as God sees them - - beautiful, accepted, blessed and eternally significant. She teaches them they are created on purpose and for  a pur-pose.”1   Wait a minute - - God created me the way I am -- loud talking, not prim and proper personality and all? I’ve been learning this lesson slowly over the past five years as God has been using various people and events to show me that He created me a certain way for a reason, and that I should embrace that and thank Him for it. 

Then, Andrea was asked:

JBU: It is so easy to compare ourselves with other women. How do we keep from being envious of others?
Andrea:  It takes concerted effort. Someone else’s looks, talents, or personality is not better or worse than ours - - just different. When we start thinking we wish we had someone else’s thick hair or winsome ways or ability to be organized, that is the time to stop and thank God for giving those things to her. Then ask Him to bless her. This helps guard our heart from jealousy.” (1)

Wow! That just spoke to me and is something I have not heard before. In order to not be jealous, pray for the person and thank God for giving her those things and ask God to bless her. Amazing insight!

Taking the focus off of ourselves and putting it onto God and what He has done for someone else is a wonderful concept I cannot wait to try!

GOING DEEPER:
1. If there is someone you know whom you have jealous feelings toward, will you take the time to do what Andrea suggests and pray for her?
2.  Think about something you do not like about yourself and think about how God could use that for Him.

FURTHER READING:

(1)  Fink, Constance B. “Getting a New View of You.” Just Between Us Summer 2012: 18-21. Print

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.