Thursday, May 24, 2012

Shelter from the Storm
By Jen Wollner

“The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and they are safe.”

Proverbs 18:10

When my son, Clayton, was young, he was extremely afraid of storms. Flashing lightning, crashing thunder and pounding rain literally made him tremble and weep. A couple of years ago, we had several days of thunderstorms in a row. We were all on edge and my husband and I were getting used to one kid or another running to us or crying during the night as the various sounds echoed around our home. One morning, when it was already light out, the rain woke me up and soon thereafter I saw a huge flash of lightning. The thunder followed immediately behind it and shook the whole house. I cringed and braced myself for what I knew I’d hear next…frantic feet running down the hall to my room! I waited…and waited…but, no one came. No feet. No crying. No panicked calls for Mommy and Daddy.

Hmmm…that’s strange, I thought. There’s no way none of them heard that, especially Clayton. Is it possible that he slept through it?!

As I lay in bed, my mind turned to other things and soon I drifted back to sleep. Not too long later, Clayton came into our room and jumped in bed with us, just as he did most mornings. He seemed particularly excited and pleased with himself, though, and the first thing out of his mouth was, “Mom, did you hear that loud thunder?” “Yeah, did you hear it, too?” I asked him with much shock. “Yep!” he said. “And I was really scared at first, but then I remembered that God was with me and I wasn’t scared anymore!” Well, there’s nothing that gives me more joy then when my children trust in the Lord and look to Him to fill their needs. And, I was overwhelmed with gratitude that God would so quickly and supernaturally meet that need. What a promise-keeping God!

We all struggle with fears and worries, don’t we? Maybe it’s a health issue. Maybe it’s a financial dilemma. Maybe it’s a difficult relationship. Or, maybe it’s something more tangible like spiders, heights or, like my son, severe weather. Whatever it is, it fills us with panic and all we can think about is getting away…being rescued…finding shelter.

The Lord is that place. He’s the place of security when the storms of life crash down on us. He’s a strong tower when everything is falling apart around us. He is our Rock, our Fortress, our Deliverer.

Run to Him…

GOING DEEPER:
1. What causes you to tremble? From what do you need protection? Seek the Lord and expect Him save you and fill you with courage!

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 18:2; Psalm 91; Isaiah 41:10-14

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three elementary-aged children. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.