Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Staring Grace In The Face
By Karen D’Amore

“The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly…”
1 Timothy 1:14a

It was a forty-plus-year addiction. Not one of the more common or familiar addictions, like tobacco, alcohol or drugs…but rather, a sun addiction! In the course of that addiction, I never considered the consequences. I can still hear my mother voicing her concerns, “I’m afraid you’re going to die from skin cancer.” My flippant response, “well, at least I’ll go down brown,” didn’t humor her!

The first skin cancer diagnosis stunned me. The tumor was on my lip and I couldn’t escape its presence staring back at me in the mirror. Paralyzed with fear, I didn’t want to face the consequential realities of my lifelong addiction. After numerous surgeries, months of painful radiation treatments, repetitive biopsies, and years of perpetual fear and concern…my sun worshipping addiction is behind me. But every time I look in the mirror, I witness the toll of that lifelong addiction. My skin has been destroyed!  The scars, wrinkles and sun spots recount a wordless autobiography. Dismayed by my self-induced destruction, the mirror reflects my shame. As I stare my consequences in the face, my reflection whispers, “You’re reaping what you sowed.” My heart groans with regret as I resign myself to forever live with the harsh residuals of my idol.

Recently, I was selected by a medical esthetician to be a test model for several restorative skin procedures. Unfamiliar with the process and procedures, I didn’t know what to expect. As the before and after photos speak for themselves, my face beams with renewal, leaving me speechless. I could have never afforded this costly, complimentary gift of services. A gift which has reversed years of damage and addictive destruction, leaving my skin transformed with newness of life. This undeserving gift was truly a gift of grace…the unmerited favor of God.

Through a frightening cancer diagnosis, God drew me to face my deadly addiction. And through a lengthy cancer battle, God delivered me from that addiction. Unable to escape the perpetual reminder of that addiction, the haunting consequences plagued me daily in the mirror. But as God extended His gift of grace…restoring my damaged face…I now look into the mirror…and rejoice as I stare grace in the face.
               
           "I don’t understand the mystery of grace 
only that it meets us where we are 
but doesn’t leave us where it found us.”
                                   —Anne Lamott (1)

GOING DEEPER:
1. Consider the many ways that God has shown you grace and express your gratitude to Him.
2. Is there someone in your life in need of your grace? How can you extend it to them?

FURTHER READING:

(1) www.tentmaker.org

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon.  She’s a leader for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.