Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Confession=Healing
By Susan Klein

“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”
James 5:16

When my husband and I were new believers, we joined a “small group” so that we would develop relationships with other believers who could help us grow in our faith. We were welcomed into a wonderful group where our faith walk really began to take root. As we got to know the others in our group, we began to feel more comfortable sharing our struggles and issues, and we welcomed their prayers and Scriptural guidance.

One night, as we got ready to pray, one of the ladies suggested we separate into two groups…men in one and women in the other…so we could share and pray on a more personal level. I had been struggling with a particular sin in my life and had felt burdened to share it with someone. I felt this might be a good time to confess it to the ladies, who were now my dear friends, and ask them to hold me accountable.

As I started to tell them of my struggle, one lady spoke up rather quickly. “You don’t have to confess anything to us! Your sin is between you and God. You just have to take it to Him and ask His forgiveness.” I know she meant well, and just didn’t want me to feel embarrassed by going public. What she didn’t understand was that I really
wanted to share it! I was tired of dealing with it all alone and needed their prayers and their help! Sadly, I closed my eyes and went before the Lord in silence. I never shared my struggle with them. I continued with that sin for many years before the Lord brought it to an end. I often wonder what would have happened if I had been allowed to share it that night.

While it is true that we need not share with others
every wrong we commit, the above verse suggests that it is good to confess some of our sins to each other for the benefit of intercessory prayer. God does not intend for us to struggle alone! It is a great joy for believers to pray for each other and to see God answer those prayers!

The prayers of the righteous can bring about healing for the sin-sick soul!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you have people in your life who will pray for you and hold you accountable? If not, you may want to consider joining a small group in your area.
2. Who, in your life, may be in need of your intercessory prayer today?

FURTHER READING:
James 5:13-20

Susan is We Women's Tuesday Morning Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers. She and her husband Mark lead a couples' small group in their home; she is also involved in inner city outreach.