Friday, June 22, 2012

What Happens When God Says “No”?
By Shelley Hooper

“‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’”
Isaiah 55:8-9

I have spent much of my life quoting the above Scripture, believing that I believe it. Believing that it is a GOOD thing that God’s thoughts are not my thoughts, that my ways are not His ways. Of course that’s good, right? Right! Unless… we are struggling to understand why His ways seem so different from ours. Have you ever been in a place where the path seemed clear and obvious to you, but God had different plans? Have you ever wondered why He closed a door that you spent years trying to open? Has your plan ever seemed so obviously right and good that you can’t believe that God’s plan was different? Sometimes what can seem so obvious to us can result in a shocking “no” from God.

I recently was given a resounding “no” from God… again. A “no” that just keeps returning and returning. A “no” that I have heard from Him many times before. Now, some of you may wonder why I keep asking. I’m not sure myself. I only know that the mountain in front of me needs to move some time. So I keep trying to find my way around it. At times, I can look back at the various “no’s” that He has given and be grateful. Other times, I am left shaking my head. I do not understand how God is at work here. This latest “no” was one of the most painful He’s given me in a while. But here is what I know that I know that I know: God IS at work here. Despite my pain and confusion, God has a plan that is perfect.

So that’s what it comes down to, right? We either believe what we say we believe or we don’t. We either take God at His Word or we don’t. We either trust Him with our lives—indeed, our everything—or we don’t. Maybe I will never know why I have stood on this side of the mountain for all of these years. Maybe it will be abundantly clear when I get to heaven. It really doesn’t matter. What matters is that when I stand before God, I don’t have to apologize for not trusting Him with my everything. I will choose, even in this moment, to trust that God’s ways are higher than mine.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you have a mountain in front of you? Are you trusting God for the way around?
2. Has God recently told you “no”? Do you believe that He has a plan that is greater than yours?

FURTHER READING:

Shelley, along with her husband Tom, is the Director of Worship and Creative Arts at Oakwood Church. She is also the mother of three growing boys and a middle school choir director.