Thursday, November 29, 2012

LIFT ME UP!
By Peggy Kleckner

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.”

1 Peter 5:6-7

I am feeling overwhelmed! So many emotions swirling that I just want to weep and yet not sure exactly what I would be weeping about. I sat down this morning and just pictured myself raising my hands to my Abba Father and saying, “UP!” Like a little girl who is overtired, worn out and perhaps frightened, I just want my Daddy to pick me up and carry me in His strong arms! When you’re a little girl, everything seems to look BIG. People seem to crowd you in, you lack understanding, you tire easily and you wear your emotions openly. Oh, to have faith as a child! “Daddy, pick me up!”

When I am ready to admit that I don’t have the answers and that I don’t know the way, then I am ready to surrender to the God who cares for me, my Abba Father. Oh, what joy to know that I can cast all of my anxiety on Him, because He truly cares for me. God wants to hear my sadness over the death of my dog. He cares that my friend’s sister passed away and it not only made me sad for her, but it reminded me of the loss of my own sister. He cares that another friend is adjusting to a life that she didn’t plan on. He cares that my son is moving back home. He understands that changes, even good changes, rock my boat, at least for a while. He cares that I am joyful that my mom’s visit was delightful, but that I am also sad that I had to let her leave again.


He cares, He cares, He cares…and ever so slowly I feel His arms surround me and suddenly I am lifted up and carried. I am comforted in His embrace. Looking down from the cradle of His strong arms, my cares now seem much smaller.


GOING DEEPER:

1. What emotions are you running from? Are you willing to stop, admit to them and surrender them to the One who cares for you?
2. Stop and picture yourself snuggled against the shoulder of a strong and loving Father, rest there a while.

FURTHER READING:

Isaiah 61:1-3; Mark 10:13-16

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.