Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nobody Cares
By Lisa Boyer

“Your word is truth”
John 17:17b

I had been obsessing about how I looked. Not that I’m terribly vain, but a medical condition was affecting my shape and hiding it was becoming more and more difficult. Then it hit me…nobody cares.

Nobody cares about how I look and realizing it was such a relief. Any time I started to worry about how I looked I just repeated “nobody cares” to myself.  But before long, I found myself repeating “nobody cares” about more than just how I looked and not long after that, I began believing nobody cares. I hadn’t even noticed the transition from “nobody cares about how I look” to “nobody cares at all.” 

I had been foolish to let such a simple thought imbed itself so deeply in my mind, but realizing my foolishness wasn’t going to be enough to undo the damage. I had a habit of thinking “nobody cares” and I needed a different thought to create a new habit.

As I considered what I had been thinking and what I should be thinking, part of a Bible verse came to mind…“think on these things.” It would have been more helpful if the whole verse had come to mind, but I had to look up the rest. A quick search of “think on these things” in Google got me to Philippians 4:8 which says “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - - think about such things.”

So that was the list of criteria a thought needed to have before it should stay in my head. But thinking whatever is true can be kind of tricky when you’ve been believing a lie like “nobody cares.” Back to the Bible I went…1 Peter 5:7 says “He cares for you” referring to God. Ok, well, I was thinking of “nobody” as people, but God’s caring also disproves the idea that “nobody cares.” If I am to think true things, “nobody cares” is not allowed in my head.

What a process… all because I was playing some sort of mind game to make myself feel better about how I looked. Wow. Next time, I’ll try dealing with the situation in a more practical way. 

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you struggling with a negative thought habit? Today, will you go to God’s Word to find the truth?

FURTHER READING:

Lisa is married to Ted and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, serves with the 5th & 6th graders on Sunday morning at Oakwood, and loves hanging out with and impacting teenage girls for Christ.