Thursday, December 6, 2012

Is God Really Good?
By Karen D’Amore

“And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”
Romans 8:28 (NASB)

Waiting for the biopsy results, I prayerfully prepared for a conceivable re-occurring cancer diagnosis. With a prayer posse of Facebook friends anticipating the results, I eagerly shared the biopsy news. As my Facebook status boldly proclaimed BENIGN, many responded with a consistent sentiment: “Praise God…God is good!” My joy-filled response, “yes, He is!” drew me to consider the alternative. What if…the results hadn’t been favorable and my post had read…malignant? What would the response have been?  Would I still have been able to praise God and see Him as good through another battle with cancer?

This thought-provoking “what if?” drew me to candidly search my heart. If we call God good when things go right, does it mean He’s not good when things go wrong? Flipping through the pages of my Faith-book, my personal penned words drew me to re-live a nearly eight-year cancer journey. I recalled the obstacles, pain, and fears…but more importantly… God’s faithfulness as He’d carried me through every step of that journey. Deep in the archives of my heart, I saw faces of lives saved through my cancer story. More recent faces flashed through my mind…cancer warriors…the many ministry opportunities stemming from my cancer journey. It was cancer that drew me deeper into God’s arms, where I experienced His faithfulness like never before. Through cancer, my fears were transformed into faith. Cancer cultivated my personal compassion. Yes…God had redeemed my cancer journey for His “good” purpose.

Drawing wisdom from my relationship with God, coupled with insight from His Word, I acknowledge that God’s interpretation of “good” is different from mine. As Christ-followers, we must recognize that God’s “good” isn’t necessarily synonymous with our comfort. When we measure “good” by things which please our senses, we’ll struggle in the understanding of God’s good. God desires what’s best for us, but not necessarily what’s easy for us. In light of Romans 8:28, He doesn’t say that all things are “good,” but rather that He makes ALL things work for good.

Our ultimate “good” is conformity to the image of Christ. And when we are in God’s will - - called according to His purpose - - everything  God allows into our lives is used by Him to make us more Christ-like. Cancer...just one of God’s refining chisels, used to conform me into Christ-likeness. A process enabling me to answer that “what if__________?” with…“YES”…God is really good!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What if________?  Fill in the blank.  Can you trust in God’s goodness in the midst of your “what if”?

FURTHER READING:

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon.  She’s on the Oakwood Women’s Ministry Special Events planning team and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.