Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Strength
By Tracy Smith

“But those who hope in the Lord  will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Isaiah 40:31

Last December, I wrote a devotional called “Refuge.” In it, I talked about how “God as my refuge” was the aspect of God that was revealed to me in 2011. At the end I posed the question, “I wonder what aspect of God will be revealed to me in 2012?”

As I now reflect on 2012, I would say the answer is - - God as my strength.

There were many different challenges this year - - from needing minor surgery in February to my husband being diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma in August. Along with those health issues are the continuing struggles and triumphs with my OCD.

Through it all, whenever I felt overwhelmed or scared, I looked to the Lord for my strength. Whenever I tried to do it through my own power, I inevitably failed, fell down and needed some help to rise. Making it through on my own was not an option. Having the Lord as my strength was the only way to make it through the different struggles. There were days I know I was not walking on my own power, but only through the Lord carrying me through.

As Isaiah 40:31 states, with the Lord renewing your strength, you can run and not be weary and walk and not be faint. It was when I tried to do things on my own that I felt weary, faint and discouraged.

As Christmas draws closer, I am so very thankful for my Savior and His love for us in that He would come to restore our relationship with Him.

Jesus as my strength - - again, I wonder what aspect of God will be revealed to me in 2013?

GOING DEEPER
1. What attribute of God have you seen this past year?
2. What can you do to prepare your heart for what God will teach you in 2013?

FURTHER READING

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.