Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cancer Comforter
By Karen D’Amore

“Praise be to the God… the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NIV)

My disdain with mirrors began shortly after the growth first appeared on my lower lip. Paralyzing fear clouded my judgment; avoidance delayed medical attention, inhibiting early detection and diagnosis. I feared confirming what God had already endorsed in my heart.

As “biopsy” rolled off the doctor’s lips, my fears began to congregate. I pleaded with God, “Let it be anything but the Big C.” Monday, February 28, 2005, the biopsy results would confirm my worst fears. CANCER was the only recognizable word I remember the doctor speaking.

My treatment options were surgical removal and reconstruction of the lower lip or months of painful radiation treatments. The whirlwind immersion drew me to settle into my new normal cancer routine: biopsies, surgeries, medication, radiation, pain, fatigue…

It was a journey nothing could have prepared me for…a journey I wouldn’t have ever chosen. Initially, paralyzing fear capsized my faith. Once I relinquished my fears, God had the opportunity to expand my faith. Though He didn’t deliver me from cancer, He faithfully carried me through it. For six years, the cancer re-emerged and repeated itself. To date, I am two years cancer-free.

Now, as a manicurist, God is redeeming my cancer journey for His express purpose. Orchestrating Divine Appointments, He continually brings me clients who are in the midst of personal cancer battles. Brain cancer, double mastectomy, lung cancer, liver cancer, melanoma…just a few of the cancer warriors He’s placed before me to touch (literally) and comfort. I speak their language, understand their silence, relate to their tears, and empathize with their pain. With opportunities to be the hands of Jesus, I’m able to share the “hope” that lies within me. I can introduce them to the hope and comfort of The One who carried me through my cancer.

Recently, I manicured a woman in hospice with stage four cancer. A believer, Jill was preparing to meet her Maker. She wanted her hands to look beautiful as she lifted them to her Heavenly Father, when He came to take her home. Inquiring about my cancer experience, she found comfort and encouragement in my faith- stories. Jesus took Jill home ten days later.

What began as a treacherous firestorm has transcended into a powerful ministry. As a “Cancer Comforter,” I’m experiencing joy from my cancer journey. A spectator in God’s redemption arena, I’m gratefully honored to share my source of hope and comfort with others.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  How can you comfort others with the comfort you’ve received from God?

FURTHER READING:

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon.  She’s on the Oakwood Women’s Ministry Special Events planning team and a volunteer wildlife rehabilitator.