Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Treasure Hunt
By Karen D’Amore

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
Jeremiah 29:13

As he majestically grazes in the blizzard-draped arena, snow collects and coats his massive antlers. With his regal posture intensified by his statuesque rack, his presence personifies confidence, strength and assurance. His crooked-bent front leg - - a remnant of an old injury - - makes him easily identifiable.

 When he returned a few days later minus his stately rack, I felt compelled to search for it. Faithfully visiting my property for years, my beloved “bad-leg-buck” has consistently appeared when I needed encouragement from the Lord. Significantly precious to me, finding his rack would behold sweet sentiment.

Daily “treasure hunts” have had me traversing miles of snow-encased, densely wooded terrain, in search of the buck’s rack. Following innumerable deer tracks, I’ve searched tirelessly each day, praying that God would lead me to the rack. Though the antlers have yet to be found, greater treasures were discovered in the hunt. God’s presence boldly emanated from every corner of the woods. With the pristine snow dripping in the warmth of the brilliant sun, the essence of God exuded from every source of nature surrounding me. Though my “needle in a haystack” search may never yield the antlers…I’ll be perpetually drawn to continue the hunt.

In my most recent hunt, I was struck by a profound revelation. If I were to find the antlers, my treasure hunts would end. And though I would possess the antlers and revel in their sentiment, the daily quests amidst the awe-inspiring…God-glorifying landscape…would cease. Turning my pursuit of the antlers into a valuable object lesson, God redeemed those hunts as an opportunity to poignantly reveal Himself. He impressed upon me the importance of seeking Him moment by moment, day by day…as intently and tirelessly as I sought the antlers. In a hunt for small treasured antlers…I found a far greater Treasure. I found my endearing Lord!

When we see God as the precious treasure that He is, we will be drawn to seek Him…incessantly. The great promise to those who seek Him is that “He will be found” (1 Chronicles 28:9). And when He is found, there is great reward. “Whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that “He rewards those who seek him” (Hebrews 11:6).

God himself is our greatest reward…He is our greatest treasure! Are you fervently seeking Him?

"Let me seek you in longing, and long for you in seeking. Let me find you in love, and love you in finding." – St. Ambrose of Milan 

GOING DEEPER:
1.  “Seek” is a verb, which implies action. How are you actively seeking Him?

FURTHER READING:

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon.  She’s on the Oakwood Women’s Ministry Special Events planning team and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.

(1)Quote-faithfulthoughtspot.wordpress.com