Thursday, April 4, 2013

Do You Remember When...
By Susan Klein

“...choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...”
(from Joshua 24:15)

Most people can recall exactly where they were and what they were doing when a significant event in history took place. For example: Do you recall what you were doing when J.F.K. was shot, or when the first man walked on the moon? How about when the Twin Towers in NY were attacked? I’m guessing you have vivid memories of at least one of these events!

One other significant time in my life that will be forever etched in my memory was when I came to realize that I needed a Savior! I was sitting in church on a Sunday morning in the fall of 1984. My then-boyfriend (now husband) and I had both been searching for something meaningful in our lives, but had not found it. The pastor had been preaching from the Gospels that morning and was saying that it takes more to be a follower of Christ than just going to church and trying to blend in with the crowd. “Hmm...” I thought, “Was that what I was doing?” Then it happened; that still small voice of God that speaks directly to your heart, spoke to mine! I felt as if the whole room got quiet and only His voice was audible. He spoke these words to my heart: “Susan, you’ve been sitting on the fence too long! You’ve kept one foot in the world and one foot in the church, just trying to blend in with the crowd. You need to make a commitment this day which way you will go, either follow me or follow the world, but you can’t stay on the fence. And you must choose today, or else you never will!” Those were some of the most powerful words ever to pierce my thoughts! I knew what I had to do and I did it - - immediately!

I’d love to say that it was all smooth sailing from then on. But in reality, trials still came. I had much to work through from my past, and much to learn going forward. It was downright difficult at times, but I have never been alone in my struggles. The Holy Spirit is ever-present to guide me and encourage me through each moment. I have felt the love of Jesus more times than I can count! The realization of what He has done for me makes me fall deeper in love with Him everyday! I remember my first Christmas and Easter as a child of the risen King! What glorious memories; ones that I love to share with others!

How about you? Do you remember when...?

GOING DEEPER:
1. If you have a faith story to tell, would you be willing to pray about sharing it with someone this week?

FURTHER READING:
Deuteronomy 30:15-20

Susan is a We Women Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers. She and her husband Mark enjoy tutoring and working with inner-city youth.