Monday, April 29, 2013

Rescued
By Elizabeth Cole

For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves,  in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Colossians 1:13-14

One of my favorite movie characters of all times is Jocopo in The Count of Monte Cristo. He’s the one who’s facing sure execution by his fellow-pirates right when the innocent Count washes up onshore after a daring prison escape. Forced into a knife fight to the death, the Count overpowers Jocopo, but then negotiates with the pirate captain to save his life. In utter gratitude, Jocopo commits, “From here on out, I am your man.”  He makes good on that statement and faithfully serves the Count the rest of his life, constant in his obedience and love for his master. Wholehearted and single-minded.

He was a rescued man.

In his sermon last fall, one of my pastors asked this crystal-clear question: “Are you living as if you’ve been rescued?”  I have heard its echo ever since. It’s captivated my thoughts and, I pray, is impacting my actions more and more. If I truly grasp even a portion of what I’ve been rescued from  and rescued for…wouldn’t my life be one of gratitude, expressed through love toward others? Wouldn’t I faithfully serve my Rescuer in obedience and constant awareness of His desires for my life? Wholehearted? Single-minded?

I began a list of what I’ve been rescued from:
          from sin’s penalty of eternal separation from God.
          from the verdict of aloneness.
          from enslavement to my dark side.
          from chains of complete self-absorption.
          from shackles of my own shallowness.
          from an existence of purposelessness.

And the start of the list of what I’ve been rescued for:
          for a love relationship with Jesus through the Holy Spirit.
          for allowing God to express His love to others through me.
          for victory over destructive actions.
          for participation in God’s grand plan to restore and redeem.
          for making a difference and doing good works chosen in advance for me to do.
          for living in biblical community in a way that is winsome to others.
          for a life that’s whole and holy.

I am a rescued woman.
           
What incredible lists. Yet, here’s the rub for me: In the busy-ness of life, I find myself distracted from the truth of my rescue. Rather than wholehearted, I’m “kinda-sorta-mostly-hearted.” Rather than single-minded, I’m…well, prone to wander.

It’s time for a stake in the ground once again. A moment where I confess my brokenness once more to my Rescuer and ask for His love to compel me. To say to my Rescuer, “Lord Jesus, from here on out, I am your woman.” Wholehearted. Single-minded.

You? You’re a rescued woman.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How will you express gratitude to your Rescuer today?

FURTHER READING:

Elizabeth is a wife and mother of three grown daughters. She is the Director of Connecting and of We Women at Oakwood Church.