Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Grave Moment
By Lexi Ellis

“As a shepherd seeks out his flock when he is among his sheep that have been scattered, so will I seek out my sheep, and I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on the day of clouds and thick darkness.”

Who, oh Lord, could save themselves
Their own soul could heal?
Our shame was deeper than the sea
Your grace is deeper still.

You, oh Lord, have made a way,
The great divide You heal.
For when our hearts were far away,
Your love went further still.
Yes, Your love goes further still.

You alone can rescue,
You alone can save,
You alone can lift us from the grave.
You came down to find us,
Led us out of death,
To You alone belongs the highest praise.

We lift up our eyes, lift up our eyes,
You're the Giver of Life. [1]

“You alone can lift us from the grave.” The words of the familiar worship song hit me. Instantly, the Holy Spirit spoke to me, “What is your grave? What struggle do you need to be lifted from?” Suddenly, I realized I had misunderstood this line. I had figured the line referred only to the grave Jesus rose from. I assumed it was about Easter.  

Yes, I have been saved from spiritual death. Yes, God has lifted us up from the grave of eternal separation from God. But He has saved us from more than just hell. We’ve been lifted up from a grave of oppression, selfishness, hurts and hang-ups to oneness with Him - - to a relationship. Notice the tense in the song. It’s not “you alone have rescued; you alone have saved; you alone have lifted us from the grave.”  The lines aren’t past tense, they’re present. Except for the line that Jesus “led us out of death” (past tense - - His work on the cross), the rest is about the sanctifying work God does in us when we are in relationship with Him.

After hearing this song multiple times, I had focused exclusively on the work that God had done. I missed out on the support He provides with my “graves” now:  struggles, hang-ups and hurts that affect my spiritual growth. My graves are something that only God can rescue, save and lift me from.  And because of it, He deserves the highest praise.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Take the time to listen to this song. Allow His Spirit to speak to you through the theology of the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2cWrjq-O0I
2.  Take time to also reflect. What graves do you need to be surrender?

FURTHER READING:

[1] “You Alone Can Rescue” Matt Redman. “Awakening” EMI Christian Music Publishing

Lexi is married to Andrew, serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.