Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My Social Note
By Lexi Ellis

“Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”

I have a precious student in my summer school class. Let’s call him Bobby. Bobby has autism. He memorizes stories, is an incredibly detailed writer, and has some of the most endearing idiosyncrasies I’ve ever seen, but struggles when the very clear and set routine is changed in any way.

The other day, Bobby had a really rough morning - - lots of unavoidable change, lots of unknown for the rest of day. He and his aide spent some time writing a social note. This is a technique used where an adult writes a letter explaining what is known, what is truth and things that don’t change. The student holds onto the note so he or she can refer to it and often clings to it. When Bobby came back, he read his social note to me. It explained that today could still be a joyful day. Three times, Bobby’s aide wrote, “It will be okay.” Throughout our time together, Bobby would grab my arm and whisper in my ear, “It will be okay, Mrs. Ellis. It will be okay. It will be okay.”

Recently, I was feeling overwhelmed and lost it, for seemingly no reason. Pent-up emotions and stress exploded and I was panicking. On top of that, I was furious at myself for being overwhelmed. I started mentally repeating, “It will be okay. It will be okay.” Though I’m thankful for a husband who sprung into the “comforting role,” it was also my God who was calming me.

After tears stopped, I realized I too needed a social note from the Ultimate Teacher. I grabbed a notepad and asked the Holy Spirit for help.

Dear Lexi,
It will be okay. I’m the Creator of an unfathomable galaxy and the architect of the smallest cell. My grace far exceeds the circumstances of your day. I know clinging to My promises is sometimes hard for you. It will be okay. I know you struggle with authentically trusting that I know what I’m doing. I know it feels overwhelming, but you have my Spirit and you are more than a conqueror. It will be okay.

I don’t know your circumstance. I don’t know what stress feels overwhelming for you or someone you deeply love. But I know we serve a big God. I know it doesn’t always work out the way we want. But I know it will be okay.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Take the challenge! With His help, write a social note to yourself reflecting God’s heart. Refer back to it as needed.

FURTHER READING:

Lexi is married to Andrew, serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.