Friday, July 19, 2013

Words
By Becci J. Terrill

“When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly.”
Proverbs 31:26 (The Message)

I’ll be honest. I wish this verse was about me, but sadly, it is not.

One would hope that the older one gets, the wiser one becomes, and the less of a problem words would be. I have not found this to be true in my life. In fact, I find myself struggling more and more with my words lately. Why is that?

Words have the power to heal, encourage, build up, bring joy, comfort and show love. But words can also hurt, betray, wound, ridicule, deceive and slander. James 3:10 reads, “Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.” 

Proverbs 4:23-24 says, “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.  Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.” I’ve read the first part (verse 23) many times, but didn’t realize that it comes directly before instructions about our words. God understood that what is inside our hearts will come out in our words. (Garbage in = garbage out.) 

So, if I’m having problems with my words, it’s really a heart issue.  Am I “guarding my heart”? Am I being careful about what I am filling my heart and life with? If I want my words to build others up (Ephesians 4:29), then I need to focus on the truth of God’s Word and be filled with the Spirit. If I am filled with the Spirit, then the fruit of the Spirit will flow out of my life - - words spoken in “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control” (Galatians 5:22-23a).

I’ve still got a long way to go. Thankfully I’m not alone in my struggle.

My prayer echoes one of King David’s, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” (Psalm 139:23-24). WARNING: If you pray this prayer, God’s Spirit will reveal offensive words! I’m grateful for the Spirit’s voice that stops me in my tracks and shows me the ugliness of my words and how they impact others. As I guard my heart and let the Spirit have control of my words, I pray these reprimands won’t come as often. 

Psalm 19:14 says, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord.” Amen.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How would others describe your words?
2. Study Proverbs and Ecclesiastes and allow God to speak to you about the power of words for good or evil.

FURTHER READING:

Becci is a wife and mother of two adult daughters. She is the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove, WI.  She serves as WE Women’s Special Events Coordinator and teaches 3rd Grade.