Monday, August 19, 2013

Divine Romance
By Brita Crouse

“I will make you My wife forever, showing you righteousness and justice, unfailing love and compassion. I will be faithful to you and make you Mine, and you will finally know Me as LORD.”

“I felt really romanced by God tonight,” said my college roommate as she walked through the door of our apartment one evening. She sat down in the middle of the floor and began doing some post-run stretches. I stared at her trying to figure out what on earth she was talking about. My silence gave her the hint I was a little confused about what being “romanced by God” entailed, so she kept talking to give me some clarity.

“Have you seen the sunset?” I had not. I had been studying or cleaning or doing something that did not involve looking out the window that was only a few inches from where I was sitting. She stared back at me, waiting for me to turn my head, making sure I actually did see the sunset. 

When I looked out the window, I got why she said she “felt romanced by God.” The sky looked like it was on fire. Pink, red, and orange hues splashed across the sky, giving everything the light touched a warm glow. I’m not a runner, but I have never wanted to go for a run more than I did at that moment, just so I could be outside and feel romanced by God, too.

I could not believe what I had been missing by not turning my head even once to look at that beautiful sunset. It got me thinking about what other things I was missing because I was unwilling to pay attention.

In life, it is very easy to have tunnel vision; to be so focused on one thing that you miss out on everything else. I especially experienced that as a college student. But, I realized that I was missing out on things - - things my Savior was doing to grab my attention.

I think, as women, we have an innate desire to be pursued. Guess what. This happens daily.  Jesus is always in pursuit of our hearts, always showing us His love and faithfulness. He gives us tokens of His love throughout the day, but it is up to us whether we are willing to receive His gifts or not.

This week, literally take time to stop and smell the roses. They were made for you.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Look for evidence of God’s love for you this week, whether it’s through a sunset, a song or the words of a friend.
2.  Take the extra time to listen to Divine Romance by Phil Wickham. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlsIwmtb0U8).

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently graduated from Taylor University with a degree in Psychology, has been attending Oakwood for sixteen years, and is currently ministering with Oakwood’s Quest 56.