Friday, August 16, 2013

If I Could Tell You
By Lexi Ellis

”If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.”

I recently re-read prayers and journaling I had written a while back. Some were written after a friend confided in me she was struggling with eating issues, despite our thinking she was doing great. My heart was aching and, in this specific situation, I couldn’t talk to anyone about it…except my all-knowing God. I asked for the right words to say, if any, and for the Holy Spirit living in her to convict her to do the hard work and get help. I wrote:

You told me your secret today. I’m not going “to tell.”  But if I could tell you, I’d say it’s much easier “getting by”  than joyfully living, because real living requires encountering scary things. It requires dealing with this stuff. It requires surrendering the control of “I-can-do-this-on-my-own”  and recognizing there’s life beyond this. If I could tell you, I’d talk about God’s command to “address”  our struggles - - that sometimes we need to work and wrestle with hard things. So right now, I’m praying for the Holy Spirit to speak into your life. I’m praying the Holy Spirit speaks to me about what words and when. If I could tell you, I’d say I’m heartbroken for you and I want you to address this because I love you like crazy. [1]

In Hebrews 12:1-3, the author acknowledges sin that “so easily entangles.” Because of this, we need to “throw off everything that hinders.” By addressing struggles and sin in our lives, we become available to “fix to our eyes on Jesus.” Our entangling sin and struggles can’t separated from our relationship with God. We need to reject complacency - - a much easier choice - - and choose an active-ness to identify struggles and sin and do something about them. It’s not to try to achieve perfection, but to continually be working on “our stuff” to remove barriers in our relationship with Christ.

My friend recognized her struggle prevented a closeness with God and others. I’m so thankful she made the hard choice to address it. As I read through my journal and prayers for her, I went back to give Him prayers of thanks.

My friends, what obstacles in our lives inhibit our relationship with our Creator? If I could tell you, we need to address them. If I could tell you, a deep relationship with Christ means we release our control and continually deal with our struggles and sins.

GOING FURTHER:
1. What sin or struggle is inhibiting your intimacy with God? How do you need to address it?
2. For whom can you be actively committed to pray?

GOING DEEPER:

[1] edited for privacy and space

Lexi is married to Andrew, serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.