Thursday, August 8, 2013

Those Little Voices
By Lexi Ellis

“My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry for insight, and ask for understanding.” 
Proverbs 2:1-3 (NLT)

There are voices inside my head. Hopefully, I’m not crazy…I’m hoping it’s just like those conversations we have with ourselves, or those messages we think to ourselves! Movies portray the voices as omniscient voice-overs; books use them to give us insight into a character’s mind. Cartoons portray a little angel and demon bickering on each shoulder. Oftentimes, these messages bring emotions that may range the spectrum - - guilt, shame, heartache or joy, happiness, fondness.

The voices in my head aren’t always the same though. Sometimes one is clearly congruent with Scripture: Be still and know I am here…For I will never leave you nor forsake you…For I know the plans I have for you…you are fearfully and wonderfully made.  And sometimes the message obviously doesn’t align with Scripture: Why bother trying?...You did this, this, this and this wrong today…you’re worthless.  

But there’s a third little voice, one that’s hard to differentiate whether it’s reflecting God’s Word or not. This little voice subtly tells me I’ve failed - - that I messed up, that I let someone I love down. Is it the Holy Spirit convicting, or the devil deceiving? At times, it’s the most powerful one: the one that’s a small seed of truth with an extreme twist. Unfortunately, this little voice is hard work to recognize, reject and get rid of.  

Recently, I saw this list on Facebook. As I read through it, the ownership of that “sometimes hard to distinguish” third little voice became more clear. 

[1]
 
That little voice in my head is God’s voice when it’s Truth. When it contradicts Scripture, telling me I’m the exception and resulting in those “red” emotions, it’s Satan’s voice. I believe that’s why Satan is the master deceiver. He’s that third little voice - - taking a slight truth and infusing it with lies that lead to emotions like frightened, confused or condemned.

God’s voice stills, leads, reassures, enlightens, encourages, comforts, calms, strengths, blesses, heals. As I go through my day, I think of the voices that run through my thoughts. Are they of God and therefore Truth…or are they of the Deceiver?

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Take some time to write down messages “those little voices” tell you. Using the image above and your knowledge of Scripture, whose voice is it?
2. How can you be aware of the difference between God’s voice and Satan’s? Listen to  “The Voice of Truth” by Casting Crowns to help kick-start your thoughts.

FURTHER READING:

Lexi is married to Andrew, serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.