Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Why I Love My Husband
By Lisa Boyer

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

A couple of months ago, someone nominated me on Facebook to list five reasons why I love my husband. I never did it. Not because I don’t love him - - I do - - but every reason I came up with that explained WHY I love him had nothing to do him, it was all about me.

I was struck by the reality that loving someone demonstrates the character of the person doing the loving, not the person being loved. I love my husband because I choose to love him. I made a commitment to love him years ago and I do so unconditionally.

Thinking about love so much led me to thinking about God and His love for me. God’s love for me is unconditional, He chooses to love me and He doesn’t change His mind no matter what I do or say or how I act. He loves me because of who He is - - because of His character, not mine. I do not deserve that kind of love. I cannot earn that kind of love. So why do I get to be loved like that?

Because God chose to love me… that’s it, there is no other reason. He made a choice to love me before I was even born. He was so committed to that choice that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die so that I could live! I cannot change His love for me; I can only bask in His love and enjoy being loved by Him.

I may not be able to list five reasons why I love my husband, but I can list five things I love about him: his sense of humor, his intentionality in loving our sons, his kind heart, his commitment to our family, his unconditional love and the way he makes me feel safe in our relationship. (Oops, that was six things.)

I’m thankful that Facebook nomination encouraged me to think of things I love about my husband, but more importantly, that it reminded me of God’s great love for me. 

GOING DEEPER:
1. I’m not the only one God loves that way. He loves you unconditionally, too. Are you basking in His love for you today or is there something that has come between you?
2. If something has come between you, will you take steps to fix that today?  

FURTHER READING:

Lisa has been married to Ted for over 20 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, serves in Quest 56 on Sunday mornings, and is a part of the WE Women’s Special Event’s team at Oakwood.