Friday, December 12, 2014

Grace
By Peggy Kleckner

“But God demonstrates His own love for us in this:  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Romans 5:8 (NIV)

I know that we are in the season of Advent, the season of waiting for Christmas. Waiting can be hard work. 

When my children were younger that was especially true. They knew that presents were being purchased. They could feel the excitement building, the hum of secrets. Oh, they enjoyed Christmas concerts and cookie baking, but opening presents was what they had their hearts set on!

My mother lived in Florida and so she would send a package for us that arrived before the actual date of Christmas. I guess I could have made them wait until Christmas, but truly I didn’t see the point. Why wait and let everything be discovered in one frenzied, chaotic day?

Nope, we waited just long enough for all of us to be together after our work and school days…then we opened our presents! It relieved some of the waiting and I am sure my mother enjoyed the phone call that followed. Not only did we open the gifts early, but we didn’t wait until Christmas to call and thank her. We both - - the giver and the receivers - - enjoyed some of Christmas early.

As I pondered the waiting of this season, I thought to myself, “Christmas is every day!” Every morning, there is a package waiting for me to open. Each day is a gift of His grace.

There is no waiting until I am good enough, no waiting until I take care of that one blemish in my character. The verse in Romans 5 reads, “while we were still sinners.”

The price for my sins is paid. There is nothing that I need to add to it. I can’t deserve it or earn it. I do, however, need to receive it and enjoy it. 

Many of us have received the gift of salvation. We trusted in Christ as our Savior, but now we are trying to work to hold on to it.  The work has been done.  Open the gift of grace He has for you each day and share the joy of it!  Call out to Him and thank Him.

Christmas is every day for those who have put their trust in Jesus.  Forget the wait, keep opening the gifts!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Do you believe that the only joy He has for you is held on the other side of this life? If so, would you be willing to reconsider?
2.  How can you enjoy the gift of His presence with you today?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.