Wednesday, December 10, 2014

More Than…
By Jen Wollner

“Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.”
Lamentations 3:23 (NLT)

Two years ago, I had a rough three days. I could have blamed it on a million things, but the truth of the matter was that I was irritable and everyone was paying the price. That third night I tried to sleep, but as I lay awake in bed, my mind swirled with discouraging thoughts: “You are a horrible wife and mother. Your husband and kids don’t deserve this. You should be ashamed of yourself! They’d probably be better off without you. You might as well just give up because this is how you’ve always been and how you’ll always be…selfish to the core. You’re a failure and a hypocrite. You say you love God, but if you really did, you wouldn’t treat others like garbage. You’re causing permanent damage to your relationships…they’ll never forgive you. You aren’t fooling anyone…you’ll never be…enough.” On and on the thoughts continued as I drifted off to sleep…

…then morning came…

Before I could even open my eyes or process the fact that it was time to get up, I heard a soft song playing in my head. The lyrics were sweet music to my weary soul…

“You are more than the choices that you make. You are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the trouble you create. You’ve been remade.” (1)

As these words and truth repeated over and over in my mind, I felt the forgiveness of God wash over me. I felt His love and mercy rush into my heart, kicking out the shame and guilt. I praised Him for His compassions that come with the dawn of each morning, drowning out the lies that flourish in the darkness.

Because of Him, I am more than my bad choices and the trouble I bring on myself and those around me. I’m more than the voices in my head want me to believe. I’m not defined solely by my actions, but by my Father. I have been redeemed and remade. I am more…

…because of His faithfulness.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What lies are swirling around in your head today? How can you exchange them for the truth of God’s love and mercy?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 139:13-14; 1 John 4:10; Romans 6:18, 8:1

(1) “You Are More” by Tenth Avenue North. Written by Jason Ingram and Mike Donehey. Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC.

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three elementary-aged children. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.