Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Most Available
By Lexi Ellis

“For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.”

Two years ago, I overheard one of my precious fourth graders trying to convince the other that he/she was “more busier.” After gently correcting the superlative (always a teachable moment), I smiled and lovingly said, “I guarantee you both are busy. Now, how about we get busy with learning?”

I don’t need to convince you we’re busy. I don’t need evidence and studies to show we’re fast-paced…that our world never seems to stop. And yet, in the midst of the busyness, God has recently laid on my heart that He calls us to be available.

When we look at Christ’s ministry, we see Him becoming more available to others as His ministry continued. His availability increased, despite having a much “busier” mission. We see Christ pausing to be available for questions and to love on others. John Hinger, a youth pastor in Illinois, told my Student Council members at a leadership conference, “Those who make the greatest impact are the most available.”

When we show up, we have opportunities for God to use us. When we are available to God, we are given the joy of caring for others. When we slow down, we give God the opportunity for open doors to share Christ with others and tangibly show His love.

I think of the times my husband has stopped what he’s doing to be available when I needed to talk. I think of how my parents have made themselves available to just sit and listen when tragedy has struck. I think of the response work team that left to help after Hurricane Sandy, or the individual who covers a Sunday School class when there’s a need. These people are available.

This isn’t to say that what we fill our lives with is bad, or that we should drop everything. Nor am I trying to guilt you into serving. But what I personally have been convicted of is that we need to be available to God, so He can use us to be available to others.

We are the tangible hands of the Church and we must be willing to ask the Holy Spirit how He wants us to be available. It will look different for all of us. Maybe being available is responding to the email when your church needs something. Maybe being available is carving out time in your schedule to build into others or serve. Maybe being available is paying attention to when God wants you to just show up and be present with someone.

We are busy…even my dear fourth graders. But Jesus was available…and we are called to be, too.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  As we move into 2015, ask the Holy Spirit to convict you of what tangible way you need to be available today and this upcoming year.

FURTHER READING:

Lexi is married to Andrew and has a puppy named Calvin. She serves with Children’s Ministries at Oakwood, teaches sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School and is the Fresh Start coordinator.