Friday, July 17, 2015

Different Kinds of Change
By Lexi Cole Ellis

 “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.”

Recently, my husband and I went through a change that was 100% of our own choosing. Interestingly enough, I found myself marveling at this “different type of change.” In the past, when I had thought of change, I envisioned change that blindsides us…a job loss, an unexpected relationship ending…a death of a loved one. But this particular change was one we chose to enter.

As I reflected on how different it felt, I found a part in my journal where I took notes on the speaker from Oakwood’s women’s conference, Navigate, this past spring. In Katy’s talk, “Tides of Change,” she identified two types of changes.[1] The first was pictured as a storm. This is sudden or unexpected change that seems to come out of nowhere and blindsides us. After sharing an example from her own life, Katy used the story in Scripture “Jesus Calming the Sea” as an example. Here the disciples are in a boat with Jesus and a storm comes out of nowhere and they are afraid for their lives. Unfortunately, their cry out to Jesus is not one of faith but rather one of “don’t you even care?” (Mark 4:35-41)

The second type of change - - the chosen change - - Katy called a summons. Here, the change is one where we choose to enter and receive. After sharing another part of her life where this applied, Katy used the “Woman at the Well” story in Scripture. Here, despite sin in her life, Jesus presents a women with the forgiveness and grace that comes with the gospel and she makes the choice to leave behind her old life. Her testimony leads to many to be saved (John 4).

Isn’t it interesting that often our response is different…based on the type of change we experience? For me, it was much easier trusting God’s timing and planning when it was a summons change. As I reflected on the last time we went through a big change, I would identify it more as a storm. Though I’d love to say I was an example of clinging to God’s promises and faithfulness, I confess I often chose to mope about the change rather than embrace God’s new timing and revelations for my life.

Whatever the type, we are called to cling to God…to trust Him and His timing. We must surrender our anxiety and intentionally choose peace, whether our upcoming change is a storm or a summons.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Reflect on the recent or upcoming changes in your life. Have they been/are they storms or summons? Take time to intentionally choose what your response will be…regardless of what type of change it is.

FURTHER READING:

[1] “Navigate: Tides of Change, Harbors of Hope.” March 21, 2015. Katy J.

Lexi is married to Andrew and has a puppy named Calvin. She teaches sixth grade, serves with Children’s Ministries at Oakwood and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.