Friday, September 18, 2015

A Housecleaning Parable
By Elizabeth Cole

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts…”

Once upon a time, there was a house. It was a serviceable house and, upon first glance, appeared to be tidy enough. Until the housecleaner began….with a Dyson in hand. Drawn in by the suction of the vacuum, dustballs that had hidden for weeks rolled across the wood floor like mini-tumbleweeds. A couch moved from the wall revealed a small pile of breakfast cereal. And on closer inspection, a fine layer of dog hair along the edge of the easy chair was also discovered.  Suddenly, the house wasn’t quite so tidy anymore.

For a moment, the housecleaner wished she hadn’t started. Life would be easier if she just continued under the illusion that all was as it should be. It’s just that reality’s evidence was undeniable…kind of like the mosaic of fingerprints all over the windows, uber-obvious when the western sun shone brightly.

So the choice of continuing the cleaning was made... But now another choice confronted the housecleaner.  Go it alone, or ask someone else to join her in what was decidedly overwhelming? Not a quick decision. Another set of eyes would see even more need; another gaze would highlight her deficiencies. Which choice?

I suppose the biggest factor the housecleaner faces at this moment is, “If yes, then who?” She’s not going to invite the one with the critical spirit, nor the gloating perfectionist. The one who constantly compares, as well as the achievement-oriented, are both off the list. Who? 

I am so grateful that our God uses words like “dwell” and “abide” and “in you” when He describes His relationship with His redeemed and beloved children. His Spirit lives within us and is well-acquainted with our hearts. What blessed assurance that He already knows about that dirty sock accidentally pushed under the television stand and the Dove chocolate wrappers purposely stuffed between the loveseat cushions that represent my life…He knows, and He is committed to me nonetheless.

He is the Who. He is the One each of us can confidently invite to “search me…” and “point out anything in me that offends You,” knowing that He has placed His hand of blessing on our heads and has thoughts about us that are precious. He is the One who places His hand over mine on the Swiffer and gets to work…with a single-minded and loving focus on completion.

Holy Resident of my heart,
Search me. You’ve examined my heart and know everything about me. Show me where You want to work within me. I’m willing: I’m confident that what you’re doing in my life is out of your love for me…and for the sake of others.
Amen. 

GOING DEEPER:
            1. Will you humbly say today, “Search me”?

FURTHER READING:


Elizabeth is a wife and mother of three grown daughters and two sons-in-law. She is the Director of Connecting at Oakwood Church.