Monday, September 21, 2015

Where’s the Devo?
By Lexi Ellis

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all.”
Proverbs 3:5-7 (The Message)

Everything was ready…Bible opened, a new Word document, the apartment to myself, phone on silent. For the next hour, my objective was clear: it's devo-writing time! One idea started and I typed. About halfway through, it wasn’t working too well. I saved it for later. New document 2…I started typing and didn’t even bother saving it.

I paused. Lord! Really? I’m here, I’ve asked. I believe Your Word when it says, “Ask and you shall receive.” I’m giving you this time. Where’s the devo?  

As I type it now, my prayer seems so childish. Unfortunately though, we often tell God what we expect Him to do. Even if it was well-intentioned, my attitude of semi-demanding that God do what I want isn’t how this relationship was created to be. 

As I thought about it, I realized this issue goes beyond my ministry. We often tell God how we want Him to handle a certain situation - - wrapped as a “request” - - while, in reality, we’ve laid out our entire roadmap for Him. How silly! God doesn’t really need our advice, and I think we’d all agree He’s got everything under control. And yet, I sometimes find myself in situations when I think ahead and, rather than trusting He’s got it all figured out, I let Him know exactly how I want the ending.

The problem is we end up removing the trust component necessary for a relationship. I think of Jesus’ words to the Father, “not my will but yours.” (Luke 22:42, ESV) What would my relationship with God look like if I truly meant that? What things could He reveal to me if I’m teachable and moldable? How do I need to give up my control and my endings to allow Him to work in my life?

The Holy Spirit convicted me of my wrong thinking and asked me to spend time just being in relationship with Him, not necessarily with my end goal. That time, without the agenda of getting a devo out of it, was exactly what I needed. Where’s the devo? Well, not exactly in my own timing, but ironically He revealed it to me after I was willing to spend time alone with Him.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are there things you’re telling God how to fix rather continually trusting Him?
2. Take the challenge! Choose to make time alone with God today just to be in relationship, without any other agendas.

GOING FURTHER:


Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable puppy named Calvin. She teaches sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School. Lexi serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.