Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Sufficient Grace
By Susan Klein

“But He said to me, ‘My Grace is sufficient for you, 
for my power is made perfect in weakness.’”

Although a commonly recited verse, the above Scripture’s true meaning eluded me until recently. I’ve always understood it to mean that no matter the circumstance or trial I face, God’s grace will see me through. Sounds about right, doesn’t it?

Reading the words of a respected pastor this week, I enjoyed the insight he gave into the Greek portrayal of this verse. He noted that the word order was slightly different than the English version. It reads, “Sufficient for you is the grace of Me.” See the subtle yet important difference? In other words, “I Am the grace,” not “I will give you proportionate grace.”

This seemed to open my eyes to the fact that God does more than just say, “Oh, today you are struggling with ______, so I will give you _____ amount of grace, but tomorrow will be a light day so you may not need as much grace.” Quite the contrary. He says, “I Am your sufficient Grace, and I Am always with you in every situation, being enough in all things and at all times, good or bad.”

He goes on to assure us that His power is made “perfect” in our weakness. I really don’t like this verse! Who wants to be weak?! I hate being weak and having to rely on His power. But, let’s face it. We’re all weak. We have no real strength of our own. Our only strength is Him, in us. The word “perfect” here denotes a “finished work,” or “fulfillment.” It doesn’t mean what we know of the human standard of perfection.  It means that God, in us, is achieving a finished work and fulfilling His perfect plan.

In the context of this verse, Paul is asking God to remove a thorn that he sees as an obstacle to his ministry. (Perhaps you’ve uttered a similar request of God?) God essentially says, “No, Paul, I am in you. Even in your humanly weakened state, you are perfectly fulfilled because I am in you. You have all that you need to do what I require of you.” Paul gets it! He goes on in the subsequent verses to say that he will “boast all the more gladly about [his] weaknesses.”  He will “delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.”

Paul truly grasps the concept of “sufficient grace.”  Do you?


GOING DEEPER:
1. Next time you feel too weak for the task, try boasting (out loud) about God being sufficiently enough.
2. Not sure, yet? Dig deeper!

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood.