Thursday, October 15, 2015

Making Plans
By Brita Crouse

“‘For I know the plans I have for you,declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”

Ever since I was sixteen I knew.

It was when I realized counseling was what I wanted to do when I grew up. So I set my sights on achieving this dream. During my freshman year of college, I was led to a specific population to work with: traumatized children. I was called crazy for wanting to focus on this group, but I knew that’s where I was being called.

Throughout college and my “gap year,” I had several opportunities to work with this population. I worked with the underprivileged, the minority, the impoverished, the abused, the victimized, the homeless and the parentless. Each experience was more empowering for me, lighting the fire inside to help these kids realize the potential they possess. 

So last year, when my parents asked what I thought about hosting a seven-year-old orphan for the summer, you would think that I would be on board. But I wasn’t. Wondering what twenty-three-year-old me was going to do with seven-year-old him, I was pretty apprehensive.

It was with this attitude that I first greeted my now brother.

I’m so glad that God is a God of redemption and mercy - - because I was in need of forgiveness for my attitude. Throughout the summer he was with us, I learned about patience, compassion and unconditional love. In the middle of his time here, I traveled to his home country and stayed at the orphanage where he lived. This is where I met his younger brother. Meeting his younger brother went much differently than when I met him. When I met the younger brother, I knew he would be my brother, too.

It’s amazing to see God’s plan play out before your eyes. How would sixteen-year-old me have the foresight to know this would be my life in eight years? That the passion He instilled in me all those years ago would be so relevant and (hopefully) helpful to my family.

I’m thankful God took my once hesitant attitude and changed it to one of joy. I get to love on these two boys. I get to help them realize their true potential as people who are loved by our family, by our church community, and by our God.

I couldn’t have imagined my life would turn out like this. It makes me so grateful that God is in charge of our lives. His plans are so much better than mine.

GOING DEEPER

1.       What plans are you trying to make in your life right now? How can you be trusting God with your future?

FURTHER READING


Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.