Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Ordinary
By Tracy Smith

“The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.”
Acts 4:13 (NLT)

Recently, our church had a sermon series titled Ordinary: Like You.  The subtitle was, “What difference do I make?”

Isn’t that the question we all wrestle with at some time or another? Do I really matter? Does what I do/don’t do really make a difference? And the big one, “There is nothing special about me, so what can I do?”

At the end of his sermons, our pastor has something called “The One Thing” to remember from the sermon. My favorite “One Thing” from that sermon series was this: “My ordinariness is the key to my impact on others.” Let me give that to you again, “My ordinariness is the key to my impact on others.”

That thought stopped me in my tracks and really made me think. The fact that I am ordinary is the key.

Think about the men Jesus surrounded Himself with - - a lot of ordinary fisherman. In the New Testament, Hebrews 11has a “Hall of Faith” full of ordinary people who did extraordinary things for God.
            Abel …who obeyed and brought a favorable offering.
            Noah…who obeyed and built the ark.
            Moses…who thought he was too ordinary and unqualified to lead.
            Rahab…a prostitute who trusted.

I also think of the men who worked to build the Church after Jesus’ resurrection.
            Paul…who used to persecute Christians.
            Peter…who seemingly had his foot in his mouth more often than not.

Are you ordinary? If so, then you are perfect for God to use!


GOING DEEPER:
1. Has thinking of yourself as “not special enough” stopped you from serving God? If so, what can you do to change that?

FURTHER READING:


Along with being a wife and mother to two teenage sons, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and works with a great group of Junior High girls.