Friday, April 1, 2016

He Knows My Name
By Brita Crouse

“But now, O Israel, the LORD who created you says: ‘Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine.’”

I will be the first to admit that my name is a difficult one to figure out. I have been called every version and variation possible, but I’m most commonly called “Brit-ah,” and then usually asked, “Like the water filter?” (In case anyone is wondering, I DO hear that all the time!) My name is actually pronounced “Bree-duh” and derives from my Norwegian ancestry. It has no meaning, at least not in the English language, and is fairly uncommon. In fact, I’ve never met someone with the same name as I!

A name is an important part of a person. It can be a representation of heritage or culture, and is especially chosen for us by our family. A name gives a sense of self and belonging. It’s probably one of the first things you learned how to write and it’s one of the first things you tell someone about yourself. When you call someone by name, you are reaffirming their significance as a person. See how important a name is? It’s truly a part of our identity.

It’s probably accurate to say that my name is mispronounced more than it is pronounced correctly, but I take solace in this truth: God knows my name and exactly how to pronounce it.

Even more than that, God knows every other identifying and intimate aspect of my life. And, He knows just as much about you, too!
  • He knows our actions and thoughts (Psalm 139:2).
  • He knows our past, present, and future (Psalm 139:3).
  • He knows our words before we even speak (Psalm 139:4).
  • He always knows where we are and what we are doing (Psalm 139: 7-12).
  • He knows how we were made because He was the One who created us (Psalm 139: 13-15).
  • He knew us before anyone did and knows about every day we will live (Psalm 139:16).

Yes, God knows all these things about YOU! He knows your name (and how to pronounce it), and calls you by that name. God desires an intimate and personal relationship with each of His children and He shows this desire when He calls us by name, when He calls us His own.

Take joy in the fact that you are known and called by name by the One True God!


GOING DEEPER:
1.    How does knowing how much God loves and knows you change the way you will live your life?
2.    This week, try addressing everyone by name. See what a difference it will make.


FURTHER READING:


Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.