Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Least of These
By Brita Crouse

“...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.”

It was a hot summer day, the kind so humid it makes you simultaneously sleepy and sticky. I was worn out after an exhausting day and still had things to do. But, before I attempted to finish any work, I sat down in the middle of a sea of children and immediately had a dozen tiny hands combing through my long, blondish hair. Within 15 minutes, my head was covered in neat, tight cornrows. It may seem silly, but this image is what epitomizes my summer at the Rescue Mission.

After my junior year of college, I worked as a Summer School teacher at a local rescue mission. This was uncomfortable for many reasons: 1) I’m not an education major and hadn’t really taught before, 2) I’m (very) white and was working within a predominantly black community, 3) I was working for a Christian organization, but most of my students didn’t know Jesus, and 4) several of my students were homeless, and many had families who could barely make ends meet.

I still don’t know exactly why God brought me to this place. So many tears were shed out of frustration, feelings of inadequacy, and utter heartbreak for my students. Many were looked down upon by their community and even by their own families. Many did not know Christ’s love and their words and actions proved it.

I had countless visible moments of frustration throughout the summer, but God continually whispered in my ear, “Love them.” So, I let them play with my hair; I let them take their anger about a situation at home out on me; I did my best to show them kindness and patience.

God is still teaching me things about that summer. I may never see the impact of my ministry at the Rescue Mission, but if one of those kids experienced Christ’s love, any of the tears cried or doubts had or anger felt was worth it.

Jesus tells us what we do for “the least of these,” for those who are outcast by society, we are doing for Him. That alone is enough motivation to care for those most people don’t care about. Loving “the least of these” goes against what society tells us, but it’s exactly what God tells us to do because it means we are loving Him.

So, go, and love “the least of these.”

GOING DEEPER:
1.        Listen to “Your Love is a Song” by Switchfoot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px0EXdyPkA0). Start praying for opportunities to show love to “the least of these.” God may surprise you!

FURTHER READING:


Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.