Thursday, April 21, 2016

Kyrie Eleison
By Tracy Smith
 
"What's more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go..."
 
As a teen, I really liked the song, "Kyrie Eleison" by Mr. Mister. At the time, I did not know what "Kyrie Eleison meant (and I didn't have Google to look it up!) but I knew I liked the rest of the lyrics to the song. I especially liked the chorus and this verse:
 
"When I was young and thought of growing old
Of what my life would mean to me
Would I have followed down my chosen road
Or only wished what I could be" [1]
 
As a young teen, these words made me think - - where am I headed? Will my life in 20 years be what I imagine now it will be? Will I end up taking a road I cannot even imagine?
 
A few years ago, I heard the song on a radio station featuring, "80's Songs." I had two thoughts: I'm old; they are featuring songs of my teenage years as a "theme" on the radio and, secondly, now I can find out what "kyrie eleison" means!  It means, "Lord, have mercy." [2]
 
Now, the song takes on a whole new meaning! Here is the chorus:
 
"Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel.
Kyrie eleison, through the darkness of the night.
Kyrie eleison, where I'm going, will you follow?
Kyrie eleison, on a highway in the light."  [1]
 
Lord, have mercy down the road that I must travel. Lord, have mercy through the darkness of the night. Lord have mercy, where I'm going, will you follow? Lord, have mercy on the highway in the light. The song just comes alive with knowing what all the words of the song mean.
 
The phrase, "where I'm going, will you follow?" really resonates with me. The Bible is very clear that the Lord is with us always, wherever we go.Genesis 28:15 (NLT) tells us, "...I am with you, and I will protect youwherever you go..." Joshua 1:9 (NLT) says, "This is my command - - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
 
As we travel our road, we only need to remember that the Lord is with us wherever we go and He will have mercy on us.[3]
 
GOING DEEPER:
1.  Do you sometimes forget that God is traveling your journey with you, even when you are struggling? 2. If so, what can you do to remind yourself He is always with you?
 
FURTHER READING:
 
Along with being a wife and mother to two teenage sons, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood and works with a great group of Junior High girls.
 
[3]Want to listen to this song? Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDjt4FzFWY