Thursday, May 26, 2016

We Don’t Have To Have All the Answers
By Susan Klein

“Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.”

Usually when I need an example of perseverance through trial, I go to the book of Job. Here was a blameless and upright man who suffered extreme personal loss, while also enduring ridicule and shame by those who supposedly loved him the most. Yet, while he is the model of perseverance, I’ve come to learn another lesson from Job that I want to emulate: “I don’t need to have all the answers.”

After his period of grieving, Job’s friends started to pummel him with questions as to why God would allow such a travesty to occur to such a godly man. For awhile, Job accepts his lot, defending his Creator to those who are making accusations. But, eventually his despair gets the better of him and Job starts to question God as well. “What did I do to deserve this? Why have you made me your target?” (paraphrased from chapter 7)

Eventually, we read that God speaks. He’s heard enough of accusations and questioning from Job and his friends. Beginning in chapter 38, He reminds Job that He alone is God, Creator of all, and He decides what will happen to whom. Job does not know the things that God knows and has no business questioning His ways. After being rebuked, Job replies, “I am unworthy - - how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. I spoke once, but I have no answer - - twice, but I will say no more” (Job 40:4-5, NIV). Job got the message.

Similarly, who am I to question what God is doing in my life or in the life of someone else? Why do we always feel the need to have answers or know the reason for our plight? Is that walking by faith or by sight? Jesus reminds us in Matthew 5:45 that God causes His sun to rise on the good and the evil, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. No one is exempt from trials, and no one has the answers to all of life’s questions. No one, except God.

Like Job’s friends, when others begin to question God, we should not join in on the questioning nor should we always strive to have an answer for them, other than: “Our God is in Heaven; He does whatever pleases Him” (Psalm 115:3, NIV). We don’t need to know, we just need to trust!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What questions might you have that seem to be going unanswered? Are you willing to let them go, and “just trust”?
2.  Spend some time with the Creator and marvel at His sovereignty.

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads an on-site small group.