Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Words From My Friend
By Vernette Kureck

“I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.”


Zzzzt  went the notification on my cell phone. I had just played the word “bible” for 70 points and was waiting expectantly for a response from my opponent. Yes, I really enjoy playing “Words with Friends.”
It is challenging, fun and nourishes my competitive spirit. But even more challenging and enjoyable is to be in God’s Word - - the Bible - - and have my spirit enriched, encouraged and edified.

  • To be enriched like Paul when he says in Colossians 3:16 (NIV) to “Let the message [the Word] of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns and songs from the spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.” Collective, good Bible study and worship nourishes the soul to overflowing and promotes a thankful attitude, making you rich.

  • To be encouraged with King David when he says in Psalm 37:4 (NIV) to “Take delight in the Lord [the Author of the Word] and He will give you the desires of your heart.” When you commit your ways to the Lord, your heart desires things that are pleasing to God and you will be blessed and be a blessing.

  • And lastly, to be edified like Jesus. “Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.” (Psalms 119:89, NIV) We can be strong in our beliefs because what we have is Truth and Truth is unchanging. Jesus came as the Living Word and now we have the Bible as His living Word. Before Jesus began His earthly ministry, he was led by the Spirit into the wilderness where He was tempted for forty days. Always His answer to the devil began with “it is written.” Yes, we can be firm when we have His words in our minds and hearts.

The old hymn “What a Friend We Have in Jesus” shares all the friendship qualities we have in Jesus. He is not my competition but He is challenging, enjoyable and nourishes my heart, soul and mind. And I don’t have to hear Zzzzt  to be notified He has made contact. All I need to do is open and read the Word from my Friend and be expectant as to what Truth He has for me now.


GOING DEEPER:
1. Google the lyrics to What a Friend We Have in Jesus.
2. How are you being enriched, encouraged and edified?

FURTHER READING:


Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 46 years. Their two married sons have blessed them with eight grandchildren.