Thursday, June 23, 2016

Dark Spaces
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“Consider it pure joy…whenever you face trials of many kinds,
 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.”

I have been in a really dark space lately. There are situations in my life right now that are overwhelming and coming from many different places. In the past few weeks, I’ve had thoughts I’ve never had, uttered sentences I’d never imagined, had conversations I never anticipated, been to places I hadn’t expected.

This devotional can’t offer any magic answers about coming out of that place because I’m still in it, and will likely be here for a while. Life is like that sometimes and it is exhausting. However, there are some things that I’m realizing are helping me. They are God-given gifts, placed in anticipation of my needs:

1.  Reminders of Scripture. I need to be reminded of God’s presence and care for me and those I love. These reminders come from many places, including my pastor’s weekly sermon, this daily Fresh Start devotional, my copy of Streams in the Desert  and in my Facebook newsfeed that posts some of the different ministries that I “like.” (1). Random bits of encouragement and wisdom are precious.

2. Prayer. Ultimately, there is nothing like a storm of crisis to ramp up your prayer life. As the verse above says, trials produce perseverance. I want my faith to be rock-hard strong. A tree that never has to withstand wind will topple over in the hurricane. I want to be able to stand straight.

3. My community of friends. William Arthur Ward said, “A friend is one with whom you are comfortable, to whom you are loyal, through whom you are blessed, and for whom you are grateful.” At our church, we talk about our community groups “doing life” together. This group, along with a few other individuals, is definitely doing that with me. Their encouragement and concern have been priceless.

So while the space that I currently inhabit feels pretty dark, I am not. My hope is in Christ. As John 1:5 (NIV) says about Jesus, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”


GOING DEEPER:
1. What gifts have you received from God when you have faced trials?
2. Consider becoming part of group to “do life” with.

FURTHER READING:

:  Along with caring for her family, Carolyn works as an insurance representative, serves in Oakwood Church as a Community Group leader and a High School home group leader.

(1) Some of the things I’ve liked on Facebook include including Ann Voskamp, Beth  

     Moore, Purpose Driven Life, or Proverbs 31 Ministries.