Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Faithful God
By Brita Crouse

“And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

What do you do when faced with a tough decision? Do you make pro/con lists? Consider possible scenarios? Talk to others who have gone through a similar thing? Or do you crawl under your covers? Worry and stress out over the unknown? Cry to your mom or a close friend?

I’m not always like this, but recently when faced with a difficult choice, I was leaning toward that latter group of options. I was so concerned about how this decision would impact my future that I began to worry about silly things, things I had no control over. Worrying so much that I was losing sleep and feeling sick, I was turning into a crazy person! But then, these words reminded me: “If God leads you to it, He will lead you through it.” (1)

That was the wakeup call I needed. For the past seven years, I have been taking all the necessary steps to fulfill my goal of becoming a licensed counselor. Now I am at the point where I have to choose where to attend graduate school, and it has not been an easy decision. But, for the past seven years, God has been placing this desire in my heart, renewing it and strengthening it with each opportunity He has given me. God has led me this far, He is not going to leave me in the midst of this stressful situation.

These lyrics from the song “Oceans” by Hillsong UNITED have also been a good reminder:

“Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me,
You’ve never failed and You won’t start now.” (2)

God has promised us in His Word He will be with us always, but even more than that, He fulfills this promise daily by never abandoning us, even when we turn from Him. This decision I am making has been covered in prayer and I am confident that God will continue to bless me and provide me with opportunities, no matter where I end up.

As a Christ-follower, if you are facing a difficult decision or a tough circumstance, take hope in the fact that you can call upon the name of the Lord, He will hear you, and He will be with you, even to the very end of the age.

GOING DEEPER:
1.   In what areas of your life are you facing a difficult decision? What are some steps you can take this week to create trust and dependence in your relationship with God?
2.   Listen to “Oceans” by Hillsong UNITED. What lyric sticks out to you most and why?

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently graduated with her Master’s in Educational Psychology from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past eighteen years.

(1) Author unknown
(2) Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by Matt Crocker, Joel Houston, Salomon Lighthelm. Hillsong: United.