Monday, October 10, 2016

Ruby Slippers
By Stephanie LaCasse

"But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."
1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)

"Keep your ruby slippers by your bed" was the clever advice I received over the phone while speaking with a client at work. I'd told her of my horrific tornado dream I had the night before.

Her response made me think and her advice wasn't far off. As demonstrated by Dorothy Gale in The Wizard of Oz, life is best lived in preparedness. We are called to be ready to give a spiritual answer about our hope to whomever asks (1 Peter 3:15), and to be strong and courageous even when fear rears its ugly head (Joshua 1:9). But how can we do this while distractions and excuses lurk around every turn?

I think the answer lies in Jesus' examples...examples we see in the New Testament multiple times. The key? He takes small moments to be with His Father, to pray and recharge. "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed, 'Everyone is looking for you'" (Mark 1:35-37). Jesus took the opportunity to bypass the distractions and excuses to be alone with His Father, so He could fill up, prepare and pray. How many of us get up early to be alone in the quiet of the house to pray?

A friend once told me to find small moments with the Lord. Three boys and a full-time career can take it out of me, but if I don't continue to open myself to be filled consistently in those small moments, I'll burn up faster than plastic in the fireplace.

What are my "ruby slippers"...what are those small moments? Along with morning moments, posting a Bible verse on the cubicle wall, reading an email devotional before dashing into my day, and praying on my way to work are some of the strategies that work for me.

We are all called to be prepared. Are you?

 GOING DEEPER:
1. Identify some ways you can make sure you're ready.
2. Find a friend to help keep you accountable in these areas.
FURTHER READING:Luke 10:38-42; Matthew 6:33
Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she's employed at a law firm.