Monday, November 20, 2017

My True Identity
By Sarah Walker

For we are [God’s] workmanship...
Ephesians 2:10a (ESV)

We live in a world where oftentimes our value, our worth, is measured according to our performance. Sometimes the pressures are spoken, and sometimes they are merely felt. I have succumbed to these pressures to perform in the past. My identity, self-worth and value has been thoroughly intertwined with my performance. Can you relate?

It is so easy to become wrapped up in our performance - - to judge how lovable we are to God based on how we feel or what we are accomplishing. But that is not the way of God. My true identity is rooted and grounded in Him. My value is in Him. Only He determines what success is for me. Not my ability. Not my performance. Not the approval of others. Not the rejection of others.

I am His workmanship. He created good works for me to walk in. He will see the work He is doing in me through to its completion. I am His child. He has adopted me. He is my heavenly Father. I am loved by Him, and that is all that matters. He created me, fashioned me and intimately knows me. My identity is in Him and Him alone. My true identity is secure in Him when I have a feel-good-about-my-performance day just as much as when I have a performance-failure day. He is my true anchor.

In God, there is truth. There is forgiveness for sin and forgiveness for failures in performance. There is grace. In Him, a heart willing to serve and be obedient to Him is more important than executing perfectly that which He has asked me to do. The god of performance is not so gracious and forgiving.

In God, my identity is rooted in Jesus. I am God’s workmanship. I am His creation. I don’t have to force it. I don’t have to work to keep my identity there; it already is! God has promised to keep me. He has promised He won’t lose me. He has promised that He won’t leave me or forsake me. I am His. I belong to Him. Forever. And the evil one can’t, and won’t, be able to snatch me away from His hands. I am a child of God. Dearly loved for who I am, not what I’ve done.

GOING DEEPER:
      1.      If you have placed your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, do you believe this is true about you? If so, declare who you are in Jesus!
2.      When the temptation comes to define yourself by your performance, remind yourself what God’s Word says: You are God’s workmanship!



Sarah is married to Scott and is a full-time mom to their two young sons. She and Scott co-lead a summer/winter neighborhood small group.