Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Perspective
By Tracy Smith

“…not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”

About 17 years ago, I was tested for a blood clotting disorder resulting in a diagnosis of von Willebrand disease. It’s actually not a disease (not sure who named this!) but a clotting disorder. I was diagnosed with the mildest type of this disorder. So what does this mean for me? It takes me a little longer to clot when I have a minor cut or scrape - - not much of an interference, and I also have to wear a medical ID bracelet.

Where things get a little tricky is when I have dental work done (other than a cleaning) or have any type of medical procedure. When those things are planned, I need to go to my hematologist’s office beforehand and get an infusion of an IV medication that temporarily boosts a specific factor, so that the bleeding during the procedure will be controlled.

In all honesty, I used to grumble every time I had to do this. It involves getting the timing down just right for the infusion, and then getting to the other office in time for the procedure. This medication makes my face feel hot, and sometimes I get a headache. One particular time, I was getting my infusion, feeling sorry for myself and really crabby. Then I looked around the infusion room, and I began to feel remorse for my attitude.

You see, my hematologist is also an oncologist, and I was sharing this room with people receiving chemo treatments for cancer. Here I was upset about the inconvenience of getting a medication that made sure I didn’t bleed unnecessarily - - yet I was sharing a room with people being treated for a life-threatening illness! Talk about an eye-opener!

 “Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
[1 emphasis mine]

That day I was reminded by the Holy Spirit that I needed to take a look around, choose a new perspective, and focus on others. Now when I get these infusions done, instead of focusing on myself, I choose to pray for the others in that room…trying to see things through His eyes and not my own.


GOING DEEPER
Is there something in your life that you need to gain a different perspective on? If so, are you willing to work on doing that?


FURTHER READING


Along with being a wife and mother to two teenage boys, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood and works with a great group of Junior High girls.

[1] ”Give Me Your Eyes” by Brandon Heath https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/brandonheath/givemeyoureyes.html