Wednesday, March 28, 2018


God Alone
By Steph LaCasse

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV)

Ever have one of those days that’s going great and then suddenly….bombshell. You never see it coming and when it drops…it ruins your day. That happened to me recently. To state it lightly, I got some very bad news, and I felt really bummed. On my way home from grocery shopping, I heard the song “God Alone” by Phillips, Craig and Dean. I was praying for peace: that God would show me His place in this. He rose to that challenge.

“You are God alone. From before time began, You were on Your throne. You are God alone. And right now, In the good times and bad, You are on Your throne. You are God alone.” [1]

The phrase “You are God alone…” that keeps repeating throughout the song was a gentle reminder that this wasn’t a surprise to the Lord. The King of kings knew this was going to happen. Nothing is a surprise to Him, and it is not out of His control. I began to feel a tingle of peace in my soul as I drove home.
Over and over again in Scripture, we hear God tell His people not to be discouraged or feel abandoned. God tells Joshua, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” [2]
DON’T be afraid when things are unfamiliar. DON’T be discouraged when things sway you from the path you had planned. His plan is so much better. DO be strong and take courage. John 16:33 states, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” We WILL have trouble. It’s a promise. But GOD WINS. If we are faithful to listen and obey, He WILL use us to accomplish His plan. It isn’t our plan, but it is His plan. And it’s so much better.
Learning to trust God when we can’t see what He’s doing is true faith. Difficult… but so worth it.
GOING FURTHER:
1.    Listen to “God Alone” by Phillips, Craig and Dean. Think of a time that God was faithful in the end, even when you couldn’t see it in the middle of the trial.
2.    Pray that God would give you peace and a gentle reminder that He is always there.
FURTHER READING:
 Isaiah 41:10, 1 Peter 5:7

Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.

[2] Joshua 1:9