Tuesday, September 11, 2018


Enjoy Yourself
By Lisa Boyer

“My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you—I whom you have delivered.”

Have you ever had to go to something that you just didn’t want to attend, but you felt obligated to be there? From social engagements to family gatherings, it’s probably happened to all of us, but it had become a pattern for me. While I’d continued to attend those types of events and even wore a smile, negativity bubbled just under the surface.

There was an event coming up, and I considered staying at home. But once again, I felt obligated to attend. I realized that if I offered to be the photographer, I could go without really having to be there. My plan was working great, until someone found out I was going to the event to take pictures but didn’t have a ticket for the meal. So she kindly purchased one for me. Ugh.

But when she told me that she’d bought a ticket for me, she also said, “Go and enjoy myself.” As I heard the instructions, I was taken aback. Honestly, the thought of enjoying myself had never occurred to me. I walked away from the conversation with a new obligation. I was to go and enjoy myself.

Doing that was going to require change. I don’t really know how to describe it, but the transformation felt a lot like what is demonstrated in the music video “Joy”1 by the group For King and Country. The video begins completely in black and white, and then the emotion of “joy” enters and is represented by color that spreads as the joy spreads. In the end, the entire video is in color as they choose joy.

My favorite part of the song says: Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of night, Oh, with You by my side, I'm stepping into the light, I choose joy.2 That’s what I had done… I set aside all the negative thoughts and dreads that were weighing me down, and I chose joy. 

I went to the event, and I enjoyed myself. A lot. It’s made me wonder how many events I had begrudgingly attended while God had wanted so much more for me.

Why would I choose anything but joy?

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Is it time for an attitude check in your life?
2.  Has something in this life stolen your joy? Will you take time with the Lord today, and talk to Him about it? And then will you listen to Him?

FURTHER READING:

Lisa is married to Ted and they have two adult sons. Lisa serves on a Sunday morning Welcoming Team.  

[1] Watch the video for Joy at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7n7TwPDmw
[2] Joy. lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, BMG Rights Management, Capitol Christian Music Group