Wednesday, September 5, 2018


Words of Affirmation
By Karen D’Amore

The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit.

I left the staff meeting perplexed over the feedback involving students I’d soon be teaching, striving to resist forming preconceived judgments about the “bad class” reputation I’d just heard from other instructors. While prepping for my semester, I prayed for insight into the behavioral issues…along with wisdom in meeting each student where they were at personally.
Introducing myself on Day One, I shared the following quote: “People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care!” [1] I prefaced the quote explaining that I genuinely care about my students, as well as their success in the program, and vowed to put actions to those words. 
Throughout our first week, I could feel God lovingly go before me, honoring my prayers for insight into the students. He also used a student’s question regarding my love-language to prompt ideas and strategies I’d never used in previous classes. With “words of affirmation” being my love language, I resonate deeply with the concept: Praise LOUDLY…Correct softly! [2] And after deeper insight revealed my students’ immense need for encouragement, God spurred me to adopt this concept as the foundational theme with these students.
Between family dynamics and previous adverse instructors, environments that were hypercritical- - void of praise or encouragement, chronically being torn down versus being built up…my students were products of their environments. They lacked confidence, passion and motivation to learn their new trade. Succumbing to the belief that no one cared or believed in them, they had stopped believing in themselves.
After displaying a sign which read: Be-YOU-tiful, I positively affirmed the uniqueness of each student, encouraging them in the things they did well. I began rewarding critical life skills, such as respectfulness and teamwork with nominal prizes, while commending practical skills with uplifting words of affirmation. By the end of our term, I’d witnessed the transforming power of praise with the “bad class” blossoming into the “A Class!”
Over the course of eight weeks, I gained a new perspective on the power of words. I’d observed the destructive aftermath of negative words. More importantly, I had witnessed the transforming power of words that build up, encourage and affirm. Scripture warns and exhorts us regarding the extreme power of words - - the power to destroy, and the power to build up. [3] As God’s love language shouts from the pages of His Word, He affirms and encourages us from cover to cover.
Be mindful: Words are cheap, but their power is priceless! Choose wisely…striving to be an AFFIRMER!
GOING DEEPER:
1. Need affirmation? Open His Word!
2. Who can you encourage?


Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon and as an instructor in the Cosmetology Department at WCTC.

[1] This is a quote attributed to too many people to identify its originator
[2] For more on the concept of love languages: http://www.5lovelanguages.com/