Tuesday, November 13, 2018


Get Off the Train
By Lexi Cole Ellis

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

Recently, I was listening to a podcast on mindful parenting. [1] In it, Erin Taylor spoke about the Platform Technique. The premise was this: Visualize your thoughts as a train. When you have a thought, you can get on the train or stay on the platform. There’s no judgment; rather you focus on whether you choose to dwell on it or not…to stay on the train or get off of it. This can be done at any point. When you realize a thought isn’t healthy, get off the train.

As I listened, I realized this analogy is incredibly biblical. For whatever reason, when I would think about the above verse in Philippians, I used to feel defeated. It’s quite the list to measure up against. When in reality, there's nothing in this verse that necessitates perfection. Instead, it’s what we choose to dwell on; what trains we choose to get on and stay on. The trains we get on should be thoughts that are noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable and praiseworthy.

And, likewise, when I feel the Holy Spirit’s prompting to make prayer and time in His Word a priority, I need to stay on the train. When I decide to intentionally look for ongoing moments of gratitude, I need to stay on the train. When I choose to see the best in others, recognizing that those different than I are still exquisitely created in God's image, I need to stay on the train. When I rearrange my schedule so it reflects God’s Kingdom-building goals, I need to stay on the train.

Conversely, when I start to get on the guilt train, convinced I’m failing as a mom, I need to get off the train. When I start to get on the bitterness train, keeping track of what’s “fair” and “unfair” in my marriage, I need to get off the train. When I start to get on the victim train, allowing myself to wallow in the difficulties of my job, I need to get off the train.

Our thoughts reveal our attitude and our values. Today and every day, may we be aware of the trains we need to get on…and the trains to get off.

GOING DEEPER:
  1. What “trains” currently consume your thoughts? Take time this week to take a mental inventory and the Spirit of God to prompt you when you need to get off the train.

FURTHER READING:

Lexi’s family consists of her, her husband, Andrew, her daughter, Sloane, and her dog, Calvin. She teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing and serves with Children’s Ministries.

[1] Be the Best Parent You Can Be, Voila Montessori: Erin Taylor Interview: Day 15. https://voilamontessori.com/btbpycb-erin-taylor/