Wednesday, November 21, 2018


Who Do You Believe?
By Sarah Walker

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.”
John 14:6a (ESV)

My two boys were having an argument that occurs at my house, in some form or another, fairly frequently. I told them they could have juice with their lunch. But while they were waiting for lunch, one brother told the other that he could not have juice. Oh, the tears and angry words that ensued! The boys proceeded to get into a heated argument - - completely ignoring what I had told both of them only minutes prior.

Needing to put an end to the madness, I asked my tearful boy, “Who has more authority: Mommy or your brother?”
“Mommy,” he replied.
I asked, “Do you think that means you will get juice, or you won’t get juice?”

As you might imagine, this was not an isolated incident. I have had similar conversations on more than one occasion. It’s an ongoing battle. I am working to have each boy understand that they should believe my word more than his brother’s.

All too often, I find I am much like my boys. Jesus tells me one thing, but the people around me or the lies I’ve believed tell me something exactly the opposite. Instead of holding to the truths of Jesus as unchanging truths, I believe the lies and lose sight of the big picture. I forget whose words have more authority and carry more weight.

Again, how often does Jesus tell us one thing, but the people around us tell us something different? And how often do we believe what others say about us instead of what God has told us in His Word?  Here are just a few examples:
·         I believe I am worthless, yet God tells me I have infinite value since I am made in His image. [1]
·         I believe my actions don’t affect anyone else, yet God tells me that He sees even the secret places and desires repentance. [2]
·         I believe no one sees me or knows me, yet God fully knows everything there is to know about me. [3]
·         I believe no one loves me, yet God tells me that He loves me with an everlasting love. [4]
There are many other lies we believe, but our task is to believe Jesus has more authority and believe Him more than the lies.
So…who will you believe today?

GOING DEEPER:
1.    What lies have you believed? What specific truths from God can you use to replace those lies?



Sarah is married to Scott and is a full-time mom to their two young sons. She and Scott are involved in a small group focused on prayer and are expecting to welcome their third son in January.