Monday, October 6, 2008

Happy Birthday
By Peggy Kleckner

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
James 1:17

A good gift giver knows his or her recipient well, so it stands to reason that God knows just what gifts we need and when we need them.

I guess I have never been a woman with friends. Oh, I had acquaintances and women in my life who knew me fairly well, but not deep, abiding friendships. I never really recognized my need for them, nor did I take the time to cultivate that type of relationship with anyone. Perhaps, like many women, I kept myself too busy. Or perhaps, more truthfully, I was afraid of close relationships. Whatever the reason, I was not well-connected in the “girlfriend” department. This was not a good place to find myself as I entered a very difficult and spiritually challenging portion of my life.

I was separated from my husband, living in someone else’s home as a guest and about to face a birthday. What can be “happy” about that? What “good and perfect” gift would God send to His daughter in the midst of that? He sent girlfriends. Only a God like ours could look down from heaven, see a need that I didn’t know I had and provide for it. Not only provide, but provide abundantly!

That day of my birthday, seven women gathered together complete with gifts, cake and laughter to extend the hand of God’s grace to me. They all knew me in varying degrees, but I know they answered God’s call to be a gift that day. It didn’t end up just that day though. These women were the women of faith God called together to pray with me and for my family. They encouraged me, strengthened me and stood with me until God moved in a mighty way to redeem my marriage. I could not have walked that portion of my life without these women, my gift from my Father’s hand.

God truly is the giver of every good gift! Not only did He handpick friends for me, but He also instructed me as to their value. I now see not only the worth of girlfriends, but also my need for them. What a gift!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Who do you count as a “girlfriend” in your life? To whom are you a “girlfriend”?
2. Search your heart. Are you afraid to let anyone close? If so, why? Ask God to reveal your true fear and then ask Him to heal it.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 139; Matthew 6:8, 7:9-12

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult sons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.