Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Our Shield
By Shelly Schumacher

“The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults and with my song I shall thank Him.”
Psalm 28:7

From the earliest age, my daughter had a very tender heart. She found it difficult to understand when other kids said mean things. On more than one occasion in her elementary years, she has come home with tears in her eyes because of the hurtful words of another child.

It is sad to say, but my daughter’s experience is not atypical; many kids are bullied. You can see it on almost any playground you visit. Bullying knows no racial barriers or economic status. No one is immune from its stinging barbs. Seeking to prey on the tenderhearted, bullies know they will enjoy a delightful surge of power as they dominate others and crush their spirits. Because of this, the victim often feels alone, unprotected and with nowhere to turn for help or comfort.

Once adults, the bullies we face are typically less blatant than the ones of our childhood playground; however, the venom they inject is no less painful. And while these conflicts don’t normally send us home in tears, they can leave permanent stains on our hearts and cause us to feel just as isolated as a bullied child.

In Psalm 28, David declares from whom his strength is derived. He testifies to the incredible power and protection he receives from the Lord. As Christians, we often forget the power we have in God. We forget that He is our strength and shield and that, by His power, we are protected.

David demonstrates the abundant blessings we receive by stepping out in faith and placing our trust in the Lord. In His goodness, the Lord helps each of us through adversity and guards us from the bullies we face. And, because of this blessing, just as David demonstrated, we get to offer up our humble worship and thanksgiving.

There is no greater pain for a parent than knowing her child is hurting. In my humanness, I know that I cannot always make it better. I have often found it difficult to send my daughter into this world knowing that her heart could be broken at any time. And then I take the time to remember these words of David, and I am comforted in knowing that she is in the care of One who is far greater than I.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you ever been the victim of a bully? How did you reacted to his/her attack?
2. What would it look like for you to daily live out these words of David: concerning yourself, concerning your loved ones?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 18:2, 59:17, 3:3; Proverbs 30:5, 2:7; 1 Samuel 2:2

Shelly is wife to Nick and mom to her two girls. She spends her time freelancing as a writer/PR professional, and is active in Oakwood's worship and drama ministries.