Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Seasons of Life
By Karen D’Amore

“To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.”
Ecclesiastes 3:1

Driving along the quiet country road, I found myself distracted by the intense colors of the changing autumn leaves. Deep hues of red, orange and yellow are painfully pleasing to the eyes. Born and raised in the “concrete jungle” of L.A., I find the concept of changing seasons completely foreign. A recent transplant to the Midwest, I am fascinated with this new (to me) phenomenon of visibly changing seasons. Driving has become a challenge as I find myself surrounded by Kodacolor snapshots of serenity. Each new day I watch and study as autumn is birthed with such boldness, and then creeps out slowly one falling leaf at a time; leaving behind a cemetery of barren trunks and branches. In quiet reflection, I am disturbed by the transition from such intense beauty to that of barren desolation.

As followers of Christ we will experience different seasons in our life and in our walk with Christ. And, as is seen in the changes in time, the seasons in our life can go from moments of beauty to moments of desolation. These seasons are not random, but rather, they all fit together. They are a composite of definites: joys and sorrows, gains and losses, giving and keeping, laughing and grieving, loving and losing, and so on until our final day. Quite a list of plusses and minuses! I think it goes without saying that most everyone would rather live a life of all plusses!

As I reflect back on recent seasons in my life, I am awed by how God carried me – not delivered me from – but carried me through the valleys of minuses. It was in those times of desolation and desperation that I pressed into Him and fell limp into His loving arms. It was in those dark cold “winters” and barren “autumns” that my faith and trust in Him grew deep and I learned to believe and live the promises of His word…And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Life seasons and timing are important to God! He is never early and He is never late! The secret to peace with God is to discover, accept and appreciate His perfect timing in ALL things.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What season of life are you in? Are you in a season where you need to allow Jesus to carry you?
2. Who in your life who is going through a tough time and could use your encouragement?

FURTHER READING:
2 Corinthians 1:3-4; Isaiah 30:18; Psalm 27:14; 2 Timothy 4:2

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue hair salon, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.