Monday, May 18, 2009

Contentment
By Becky Morrow

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation…”
Philippians 4:12

Is it just me, or is being content a battle? Well, I've been in a bit of a battle recently.

I'm not struggling with contentment in the area of material things...I don't want a bigger house or a cooler car or lots and lots of clothes. I am really struggling with being content in the midst of my loneliness. We moved across the state a while back, and it has been kind of hard to meet people. Being lonely colors the way I look at things and that is what makes me discontent. I think, if only we lived back in Waukesha, I would have friends and wouldn't have to take Leah to Walmart for interaction with other people.

I once heard contentment defined as “wanting what you have.” There may be truth in that. If I stopped letting loneliness cloud my vision of what is true, I would see all that I do have. I may be lonely right now, but I have an amazing husband, a bright and funny daughter, a new (to us) house, cars that work, and lots and lots of little things that give me joy every day.

Our verse for today is followed by verse 13 which says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I'm sure we've all seen that verse applied to everything from competing in athletics to kicking an addiction to conquering a fear…and those are great applications. But, if we look at the direct context, verse 12 is talking about being content in a variety of different circumstances. If I were to rewrite verse 12 to make it personal to me, it would say, "I know what it is to be lonely, and I know what it is to have friends. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.” The only way that I'll ever know that kind of contentment is by the strength that comes from Jesus living in me! I'm really glad that strength comes from Him, because I don't have it on my own.

We will all be discontent with things in our life from time to time, but let’s look to the Lord and rely on His strength to overcome it and turn our minds back to joy and blessing!

GOING DEEPER:
1. How do you struggle with contentment? Take some time to talk to God about it.
2. Think through or write out Philippians 4:12 to make it personal for you.

FURTHER READING
Philippians 4:4-8, 11-14; 1 Timothy 6:6

Becky is a wife and mother to her two-year-old and newborn daughters. As Oakwood-supported missionaries, she and her husband Aaron serve with InterVarsity at UW Platteville.